Candidate: Director AIA Northwest & Pacific Region "I am honored to be endorsed for the position of Director of the AIA Northwest & Pacific Region by AIA Washington Council and AIA Seattle."
I offer the combination of service, leadership and professional practice experience to lead our NW/Pacific Region and represent the values that have established AIA Seattle as a national component leader. I have the relationships at the local and state levels to expand our region’s influence on initiatives at the national level.
As your representative, my priorities will include:
- Support of AIA National’s repositioning efforts
- Championing the value of sustainable design through the AIA’s 2030 Challenge
- Promoting greater visibility and participation of culturally diverse practitioners in the profession
- Endorse programs that encourage increased recruiting and retention of female students and students of color in schools of architecture
- Challenging education programs at schools of architecture’s relevancy to 21st century practice I have been an active member of the AIA since 1979 and I was elevated to Fellow in 2000. I have 34 years of committed service to the Institute for the benefit of my colleagues and our greater community.
My service to the AIA includes: - Chair:AIA Seattle Fellows & Honors Committee – 2013 - Chair:AIA Washington Council Capital Projects Policy Committee – 2013 - Juror:AIA Washington Council Design Awards – 2012 - Juror:AIA Birmingham Design Awards ‐ 2012 - Member:Editing Steering Committee, 14th Edition AIA Handbook of Professional Practice – 2011‐12 - Member: AIA Seattle Board of Directors – 2002‐05 - Chair:AIA National Scholarship Committee ‐ 2000 - Co‐Chair:AIA Seattle Diversity Roundtable – 1996 - Chair:AIA California Council Minority Architects Committee – 1980 - Chair:AIA National Scholarship Committee ‐ 1980
As an architect, I have founded and led my community‐based practice for the past 28 years in the planning and design of healthcare, education, library, human services facilities and affordable housing.
Prior to founding DKA in 1985, I served on the staffs of community design centers in Detroit, Los Angeles (Watts) and in Seattle, where I was Principal Architect of Environmental Works Community Design Center.
My practice focus reinforces my commitment to community service that has included: - Member: Board of Directors Bellwether Housing 2013 - Visiting Studio Critic:University of Washington - College of Built Environments:2010‐13 - Member:Board of Trustees & Executive Committee Metropolitan Seattle Chamber of Commerce – 2006‐12 - Visiting Faculty:Community‐Based Practice Program School of Architecture, University of Hawaii – 2008‐11 - Vice Chair: Seattle Planning Commission – 1990‐96
I am NCARB certified and currently licensed to practice architecture in: - California, Hawaii and Washington - Master of Architecture: University of California at Los Angeles ‐ 1978 - Bachelor of Fine Arts in Interior Architecture:Wayne State University, Detroit – 1975